bruAPP/OS 2.1.1 Upgrade Instructions
For customers who have obtained their bruAPP/OS 2.x license, please follow the steps below or you may download the bruAPP/OS 2.1.1 Upgrade Guide.
The following instructions provide the complete steps to update the bruAPP/OS from version 2.1 and prior to version 2.1.1. The upgrade process requires the bruAPP USB Update Fob that was shipped with the bruAPP Backup Appliance. If, for any reason, you do not have the bruAPP USB Update Fob, please contact BRU
Sales to request a replacement bruAPP USB Update Fob.
**** IMPORTANT ****
As with all update/upgrade processes, we strongly urge you to perform a full backup of your bruAPP Backup Appliance to a tape device before proceeding with the upgrade. Performing the backup to the internal bruAPP RAID array is not the preferred method since there is a possibility, though highly unlikely, that the upgrade may fail or errors could result. If that occurs and the RAID array is in-fact reformatted, the data (including archives) cannot be recovered.
If you do not have a tape device or are interested in obtaining one, please contact BRU Sales to inquire about TOLIS
Group Loaner Tape Units or to purchase a tape device from TOLIS Group that fits your needs and is compatible with your particular bruAPP model. To view a list
of available tape devices from TOLIS Group that are compatible with the bruAPP, visit the bruAPP Upgrades and Add-ons page.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Instructions for Download of bruAPP/OS Upgrade
Before you begin, please make sure that you have your bruAPP/OS USB Update Fob that was provided with your bruAPP Backup Appliance. If you do not have your bruAPP/OS USB Update Fob, please contact BRU Sales for information on obtaining a replacement.
- Visit the bruAPP Backup Appliance download page at:
- Click on the download link for the bruAPP/OS 2.1.1 upgrade. This file is approximately 196MB in size. This download may take a while depending on your internet connection.
Safari Browser Users: Please turn off the "Open 'safe' files after downloading" option under the "General" panel in the Safari application Preferences.
- Once downloaded, unzip the downloaded file. A folder named "bruAPP OS 2.1.1 Upgrade" should appear in the folder in which the zip file was extracted into.
- Insert the bruAPP/OS USB Update Fob into your computers USB drive. Do not delete or remove any files at this time.
- Inside of the "bruAPP OS 2.1.1 Upgrade" folder there should be three (3) files:
- Confirm that the above files exist.
- Copy and paste the three (3) files listed in step 5 onto the bruAPP/OS USB Update Fob. You will want to overwrite the existing files that exist on the bruAPP/OS USB Update Fob, so choose 'yes' if you are prompted by your OS to confirm the overwrite operation.
- Safely unmount/remove the USB drive from your system.
Mac OS X
: Drag the bruAPP/OS USB Update Fob to the Trash to eject the bruAPP/OS
USB Update Fob. After it has been ejected from the OS, it is safe to physically remove
from your computer.
Windows: Right-click on the bruAPP/OS USB Update Fob under the My Computer
section and select "Eject" to safely eject the disk. After is has been ejected from the
OS it is safe to physically remove from your computer.
Linux: Most Linux operating systems, such as Ubuntu, SuSE, OpenSUSE, Fedora,
Redhat, and Debian permit the ability to use the same process as described for
At this point, you have successfully updated the bruAPP/OS USB Update Fob with the bruAPP/OS 2.1.1 update files. You may now move to the next section to update the bruAPP/OS.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact TOLIS Group Technical Support prior to performing any of the upgrade steps.
Instructions for bruAPP/OS Upgrade
Please read all of these steps before actually performing them on the bruAPP Backup Appliance. If you have any questions, please contact TOLIS Group Technical Support prior to performing the update/upgrade process.
If you encounter errors or problems during the upgrade process, stop where the error occurs and contact TOLIS Group Technical Support to prevent any accidental data loss.
- Before proceeding with the upgrade process, please perform a backup of your bruAPP Backup Appliance. If you are not sure how to do this, please contact TOLIS Group Technical Support.
- Ensure that there are no backups running. The bruAPP Backup Appliance will need to be rebooted in order to perform the upgrade, thus terminating any currently running backups. If there are backups running, please allow them to finish.
- Power off the bruAPP Backup Appliance.
- Insert the bruAPP USB Update Fob into one of the bruAPP Backup Appliance USB ports. Most chassis have access to the USB ports from the front (must remove front bezel), however some chassis require the USB drive to be inserted into the rear of the unit.
- Power on the bruAPP Backup Appliance.
By default, the BIOS for the bruAPP Backup Appliance is configured to automatically boot from the USB drive. When the boot splash image displays, if you do not see the black-and-white bruAPP/OS image, the bruAPP has not booted from the USB drive. Immediately remove the bruAPP USB Update Fob from the system to prevent damage to the USB drive. Once removed, contact TOLIS Group Technical Support for further assistance.
- Once the bruAPP Update screen appears, your bruAPP Backup Appliance will be evaluated for upgrade. If the upgrade is possible, the system will report that it "looks OK to upgrade." At this point, type the word 'go' (must be all lower-case) to start the upgrade process.
Warning – Once the upgrade process starts it should not be stopped for any reason. Therefore, do not remove the bruAPP USB Update Fob, power off the system, or remove/disconnect any hardware from the bruAPP Backup Appliance. Doing so may cause unwanted data loss or even system corruption that requires the system to be returned to TOLIS Group for repair.
- When the bruAPP/OS Update is complete, the system will prompt you to reboot. Press ENTER and remove the bruAPP/OS USB Update Fob from the system when prompted to do so. The new bruAPP/OS will now boot.
ATTENTION: Users of bruAPP/OS 2.1 – Your update is now complete. The steps that occur beyond this point are for users who have upgraded from bruAPP/OS 2.0 and prior.
- At this point there are two screens that will appear, the first screen will be the specification of the your local timezone and custom NTP server. Select your timezone from the list, then enter the NTP server you would like to use. If you don't have an NTP server in-house, the bruAPP/OS will default to a public NTP server on the web. The bruAPP must have a working internet connection for the NTP process to synchronize the time between the bruAPP and the time server.
The second is the RAID Admin email address. There can be only one email address specified in this field for the 2.1 update and it should be the RAID Administrator for the bruAPP Backup Appliance. This person will be the one notified for bruAPP RAID events, such as failed devices, spare activation (if available) and other important RAID alerts.
If you would like to have multiple email addresses be used for notification, TOLIS Group suggests that you create a group account or alias that forwards the message to multiple email addresses. For example, you can setup an email address on your mail server, such as "firstname.lastname@example.org", that forwards to John, Bob and Frank.
The acceptance of multiple email addresses is already planned for future bruAPP/OS versions.
The upgrade process of the bruAPP/OS is now complete. For users of the bruAPP Backup Appliance that have a slow or no internet connection, you may download the latest versions of the BRU Server
Agent from the bruAPP Backup Appliance Web Server. To do this, use a web browser (such as Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Opera) and enter the IP address
or Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN
) in the address field.
If your bruAPP Backup Appliance has an IP address of 192.168.1.25, then the URL to enter into your web browser would be http://192.168.1.25. If the FQDN of your bruAPP Backup Appliance is "backupsys.mydomain.com" then the URL to enter into your web browser would be http://backupsys.mydomain.com.
The bruAPP web server also provides system alerts and notifications of problems. For example, if the bruAPP/OS boots and determines that a required member of the RAID Array is missing, the bruAPP web server will display the error and which drive is being reported as missing. Other alerts such as a RAID failure are also provided on the bruAPP web server.
For further questions and information, please contact TOLIS Group Technical Support.